About the Race: The Lake Padden Relays or solo run is a wonderful way to get and stay active with your friends and family! You may run this race solo, four times around the 2.59 mile course, or you may have a team of up to four people. You can change your team members day of race if you need, or by emailing the race directors ahead of time.
There are two categories and two sub-categories for the Lake Padden Relay (Virtual & DIY race):
Participants can run, jog, or walk four laps on the ~2.6 mile Lake Padden Primary Loop trail (see details below) or complete ~10.4 Miles individually or as a socially distanced team anywhere during the dates of this virtual event (9/5 – 10/5/2020). Participants can register for this event below and once your event is completed you can go back in and record your time.
D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) DIVISION:
Run the ~10.4 mile course at Lake Padden anytime while this virtual running event is occuring (9/5 – 10/5/2020). Prizes will be awarded randomly to those who share a photo from your run or send a screenshot of your run route to the 2020 Lake Padden Relay’s Facebook event page or to email@example.com. You may also enter the drawing by entering your run time onto your Webscorer Account. Please see the Course Details section below for further details on running at Lake Padden Park.
- Solo sub-division
- Team (up to 4 people) sub-division
Run ~10.4 miles anywhere anytime while this virtual running event is occuring (9/5 – 10/5/2020). Prizes will be awarded randomly to those who share a photo from your run or send a screenshot of your run route to the 2020 Lake Padden Relay’s Facebook event page or to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also enter the drawing by entering your run time onto your Webscorer Account.
- Solo sub-division
- Team (up to 4 people) sub-division
Registration: Online registration opens August 24th, 2020 and online registration closes October 1st, 2020 at 10:00pm Pacific Time. There is no in-person registration for this event. Registration is available on Webscorer using the link below. Note: a Webscorer account is required to log your results; this is a different account from your GBRC.net account.
- GBRC members:
- Non-GBRC members:
Solo run: Free!
Please note: if anyone on the team is not a GBRC member, they must register as a non-GBRC member.
The course consists of four 2.59 mile laps counter clockwise around the lake on grass and trails, starting by the picnic shelter (east entrance). Though, for the purposes of this virtual race, you can start from any point on the lake! Just be sure that you complete four total laps around Lake Padden. The course is mainly flat and over half wooded, with one brief steep upgrade and three rolling hills all in the woods on the southwest side of the lake. You can find more info on Lake Padden Park here. The course for this event follows the Primary Trail loop (minus Padden Gorge) as detailed on this map [PDF]. You can find guidance from the COB Parks Department on COVID-19-related changes to recreation here. If you are running in the Virtual Division, you are free to run ~10.4 miles wherever you find it safe to do so!
East Lake Padden Park is approximately three miles southeast of Bellingham. Take I-5 exit 246 for the northbound traffic or 252 for the southbound arrivals.
Bibs and Shirts
You can find information on Printable Race Bibs and Race Shirts at the bottom of this page!
- Please STAY HOME if you have had any of the following in the 2 weeks leading up to the
○ Any flu like symptoms
○ Tested positive for COVID-19 or awaiting a test
○ Been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
- Practice social distancing at all times!
- Wear a mask during times when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Wash your hands regularly and use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not available.
- Runners should run alone unless you are from the same household.
- If you need to pass a runner, pass them quickly. Similarly, if you are being passed by a runner,
allow them to pass and create distance between them.
- If you must spit or snot rocket, please check your surroundings and make sure no runners are
Team Name: As long as we can print it you can use it. Be inventive!
2-3 Person Teams: Any team who wants to compete with two or three members are welcome to split the four loops among the team members. All teams will be placed in the same division as the four person teams.
Attire: Dress up! Be creative! Please be aware this is a family friendly event but we encourage participants to have fun while the run!
Selecting Age Group Category: select your category by your average age of group members. E.g. ages: 35,40,30,46 together equal 151 divided by 4 = 37.75. This team would be in the 30-39 age group.
Ryan Robie, Race Director: email@example.com
Optional Printable Bib
Please see Bib/Instructions below. (Bib is not required to participate. )
- Right-click on bib –> Select “Open image in new tab” –> Print and cut out bib
- Apply packing tape to corners for reinforcing pin dot holes if you plan to wear on the run
- Write in your own favorite number, team name, or use the space for a creative hashtag to describe your run!
- Write the date you (& your team, if applicable) ran the ~2.6 miles (x4) and the total time it took for you (& your team) to run
- Get creative! Color or draw some art to personalize your bib
- Take a photo of your race bib to share on social media and tag @gbrc1976 or send a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Lake Padden Relay Shirts
Shirts are available to purchase for $20.00 each for this event during the registration process via Webscorer. Shirts can be ordered up until September 30th and can be picked up at Fairhaven Runners & Walkers starting the second week of October. We will contact you when your shirt is available for pick up!
Shirt image examples coming soon!