The Blanchard Beast Trail Race
The Blanchard Beast Trail Race
Saturday, October 19, 2019 – 9 AM
Results for the 2019 Blanchard Beast are now posted!
The Blanchard Beast is a GBRC trail race that is approximately 10 miles long. The race takes place on the trails of the Blanchard State Forest due South of Bellingham and offers an exciting, wooded run with over 2,000 feet of elevation gain. This race offers something in-between a 10K and a half marathon for those who are interested in pushing their max distances or as a training run for something bigger.
Race registration will be available June 1st and open until October 17th at 11:59 PM.
|Cost||$30 for non-GBRC members who pre-register online, $40 on day of race.|
|FREE for GBRC members.|
|Max Runners||Due to permit restrictions the race is limited to 200 participants.|
The Race Course
The course is approximately 10 miles in length. The race begins and ends at the Blanchard Forest Lower Trailhead. The course has four major sections including two large climbs.
- Distance: 10 miles (approximately)
- Elevation Gain: 2075 Feet
- Cutoff Time: 4 Hours
- Note About Footwear: Trail shoes or shoes with aggressive tread are highly recommended. Due to the nature of the course, spikes are not recommended.
- Baby Joggers and Pets: Baby joggers and pets are not allowed on the course.
Note: The overall distance of the course may not be exact; it was determined based on multiple GPS datasets and maps
There are two aid stations along the course that will have water, electrolytes, and food available.
- Aid Station 1: 4.5 KM / 2.8 MI
- Aid Station 2: 9.4 KM / 5.8 MI
Awards & Results
All awards will be given immediately at the conclusion of the race. Results will be posted here as soon as possible.
- A pair of Brooks running shoes will be provided by Fairhaven Runners to both the top male and female.
- Awards will be given to the top three males and top three females.
- Awards will be given to the top runner of each age group.
- Awards for the most durable and best overall costumes (since Halloween is right around the corner!)
Pre-Race Packet Pickup – Friday, October 18th, 2019
This year we will be offering a pre-race packet pickup on Friday, October 18th at Bellingham’s own Prime Sports Institute from 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Race participants can take advantage of Prime’s NormaTec compression boots for a free 10 minute session. GBRC merchandise will also be for sale (cash or check only).
Day of Information
Below is the schedule of events on Saturday:
- 7:45 AM Shuttle Service Starts at Alger P&R
- 8:00 AM – 8:45 AM Race Packet Pickup
- 8:50 AM Pre-Race Briefing
- 9:00 AM Start of Race (3 Wave Start)
- 11:00 AM Award Ceremony (Tentative)
- 1:00 PM Finish Line Cutoff
— Post Race Food and Activities
Several of our sponsors will be present at the finish line after the race and GBRC will be providing food and drinks. This will include:
- Food (including burgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs, soup) will be available for race participants and volunteers. A vegan option will also be available.
- An award ceremony for the top 3 males, top 3 females, and top member of each age group
- We are having an “unofficial” after party at Wander around 1:00 PM after the race.
— Finish Line Drop Bag
— Return Trip to Alger Park and Ride
Directions to Race
The Blanchard Beast is located in the Blanchard State Forest. Start at I-5 exit 240, go north on Samish Lake Road for 0.5 miles. Turn left on Barrel Springs Road and go one mile. Turn right on B-1000 Road (5 Mi Blanchard Hill Trail Road). Go 1 mile to trailhead.
Please, please carpool! Due to limited parking at the start/finish area it is highly recommend that you carpool. We have arranged several transportation methods to help with the limited parking:
- Park at the Alger Park and Ride and take the provided transportation to the race start/finish area. There is enough space for about 45 cars at this park and ride. We will have vans running periodically from the race starting area to/from the park and ride starting at 7:45 AM. The park and ride is only a few miles from the starting area.
- Park at the Lower or Upper Blanchard Trailheads. Please try to use one of our other transportation offerings if possible since we can only fit 20 or so cars at the start/finish area. The remaining cars will be parked on the side of the road as able. A Discover Pass is required to park in the Blanchard State Forest. Do not park East of the start/finish line on B-1000 Road (5 Mi Blanchard Hill Trail Road). This is private land and we do not have permission to park here.
Race Participant Benefits
Bring your race bib to Prime and save 40% on access to The Training Room:
- Open until 4 PM after the race
- Access to NormaTec® Compression, Game Ready Cold Compression, FAR Infrared Sauna, Hot and Cold Contrast Tubs, and more!
Note: Valid within 5 days of race
Race T-Shirts & Hats
Race T-Shirts and trucker hats will be available for purchase during the registration process and, as supply allows, day of at the start/finish area of the race.
|Race T-Shirt Cost||$20|
|Trucker Hat Cost||$10|