The Blanchard Beast Trail Race
Saturday, October 19, 2019 – 9 AM
The Blanchard Beast is a new GBRC trail race that is approximately 10 miles long. The race takes place on the trails of the Blanchard State Forest due South of Bellingham and offers an exciting, wooded run with over 2,000 feet of elevation gain. This race offers something in-between a 10K and a half marathon for those who are interested in pushing their max distances or as a training run for something bigger.
Day of Information
|7:30 AM||Van Service Starts at Alger P&R|
|8:00 AM – 8:45 AM||Race Packet Pickup|
|9:00 AM||Start of Race|
|2:00 PM||Finish Line Cutoff|
Post Race Food and Activities
Several of our sponsors will be providing food, drinks, and activities at the finish line area after the race. This will include:
- Fairhaven Runners and Brooks sponsored tents, games, and raffles
- Food (including burgers, hot dogs, soup, chips, fruit, and home baked cookies and breads) provided by Renegade Runners. A vegan option will also be available.
- Coffee provided by Fidalgo Coffee
- An award ceremony for the top 3 males, top 3 females, and top member of each age group
- We are having an “unofficial” after party at Kulshan’s James Street location around 1:00 PM after the race.
Finish Line Drop Bag
Since we are primarily using the park and ride for parking we are allowing one drop bag to be left at the start/finish line. Please be prepared to label it with your name and bib number.
Return Trip to Alger Park and Ride
We will have the vans running every 15 to 20 minutes after the race or as demand requires.
Online registration is available until October 18, 2018. Day of race registration will be available starting at 7:30 AM unless the race sells out prior.
|Cost||$30 for non-GBRC members who pre-register online, $40 on day of race.|
|FREE for GBRC members.|
|Max Runners||Due to permit restrictions the race is limited to 200 participants.|
The course is approximately 10 miles in length. The race begins and ends at the Blanchard Forest Lower Trailhead. The course has four major sections including two large climbs.
- Distance: 10 miles (approximately)
- Elevation Gain: 2075 Feet
- Cutoff Time: 5 Hours
- Note About Footwear: Trail shoes or shoes with aggressive tread are highly recommended. Due to the nature of the course, spikes are not recommended.
- Baby Joggers and Pets: Baby joggers and pets are not allowed on the course.
Note: The overall distance of the course may not be exact; it was determined based on multiple GPS datasets and maps
There are two aid stations along the course that will have water, electrolytes, and food available.
- Aid Station 1: 4.5 KM / 2.8 MI
- Aid Station 2: 9.4 KM / 5.8 MI
Course Strava Segments
The Blanchard Beast Trail Race is devided into several Strava segments. Each of them can be found below.
1) Climb 1
2) Middle Descent
3) Climb 2
4) Home Stretch
5) The Last Hill
Directions to Race
The Blanchard Beast is located in the Blanchard State Forest. Start at I-5 exit 240, go north on Samish Lake Road for 0.5 miles. Turn left on Barrel Springs Road and go one mile. Turn right on B-1000 Road (5 Mi Blanchard Hill Trail Road). Go 1 mile to trailhead.
Please, please carpool! Due to limited parking at the start/finish area it is highly recommend that you carpool. We have arranged several transportation methods to help with the limited parking:
- Park at the Alger Park and Ride and take the provided transportation to the race start/finish area. There is enough space for about 45 cars at this park and ride. We will have vans running periodically from the race starting area to/from the park and ride starting at 7:30 AM. The park and ride is only a few miles from the starting area.
- Park at the Lower or Upper Blanchard Trailheads. Please try to use one of our other transportation offerings if possible since we can only fit 20 or so cars at the start/finish area. A Discover Pass is required to park in the Blanchard State Forest. Do not park East of the start/finish line on B-1000 Road (5 Mi Blanchard Hill Trail Road). This is private land and we do not have permission to park here.
Race T-Shirts & Hats
Race T-Shirts and trucker hats will be available for purchase during the registration process and, as supply allows, day of at the start/finish area of the race.
|Race T-Shirt Cost||$20|
|Trucker Hat Cost||$10|
Awards & Results
All awards will be given immediately at the conclusion of the race. Results will be posted here as soon as possible.
- Awards will be given to the top three males and top three females.
- Awards will be given to the top runner of each age group.
Sponsorship & Volunteering
Running Shoe Recycling Program
BBay Running and GBRC have joined together to start a program for runners to recycle their old running shoes. If you have any old running shoes that you would like to recycle, bring them with you to The Blanchard Beast Trail Race and we will take them off your hands. Visit https://bbayrunning.com/shoe-recycling/ for more info.
Race Participant Benefits
15% Discount Rate at Oxford Suites Bellingham!
Visit Oxford Suites Bellingham’s website at https://www.oxfordsuitesbellingham.com/ and use the promo code“GBRC” when making your reservation.
For More Information, Please Contact
|Tim Schafermeyer – Race Director:||firstname.lastname@example.org|